Saturday, May 14, 2022

FarmQuest Challenge Blog - Challenge #4


Hello, everyone! Happy Saturday to you! I hope that your weekend is off to a great start!  We have no plans for the weekend - which is nice since we've been busy the last two weekends. Our only plans are to get the garden planted and finish mowing the yard. I'm hoping that means I'll get to spend some time in my scrap room!

I am so excited to share that I am the guest designer over at the FarmQuest Challenge Blog today! My friend, Becca, started the FarmQuest Challenge Blog a couple of months ago and all of the challenges are centered around farming, ranching, gardening, and all things rural. Since I grew up on a farm (and I'm still a farm girl at heart) I am hoping these challenges will help me to get some of my farm days memories scrapped!

The FarmQuest Challenges are posted every two weeks - on the 14th and 28th of the month. Challenge #4 is to use poultry and wire on your project. You can create a card, traveler's notebook layout, scrapbook layout, tags, bookmarks, ATC cards, etc.

This is what I came up with:


A few months ago I came across a process video from Create With Alison on Youtube and she was creating a layout for an  Ali Edwards - Pieces of Home - series about her kitchen table. I was intrigued by this idea and had to look into it further. I love Ali Edwards' work - especially her December Dailies - but I don't follow her too closely. After I watched a few of Ali's videos, I had so many ideas swirling around in my head and I knew I wanted to start my own 'Pieces of Home' album and go beyond the seven prompts that she provides. There are a few little items around my house that have special meaning to me and I think it would be great to make a layout as to why these things mean so much to me.

This layout is the first in my 'Pieces of Home' traveler's notebook. The journaling reads - I saw you & your little friend from a distance sitting on a shelf at Gordman's. The two of you were so cute - I couldn't wait to put you in my cart & take you home. And then I picked you up & took a good look at you. Oh, my word, what happened to you?! You have red paint smeared down your chest and all around your comb - you looked like you had been in a fight. Abby & I made up all sorts of stories about what happened and I thought about putting you back. All Abby had to say was "Aw - poor little thing" and you were back in the cart and on your way home with us. You have now taken up residence on the ice maker cabinet & you bring a smile to my face every day. 

Growing up on the farm, going out with Mom to gather eggs and feed the chickens is one of my fondest memories and the main reason that I have always had some sort of chickens in my kitchen since I have been out on my own. I am always on the lookout to see if I can add a new one to my collection.

Yes, this little chick looks like a hot mess, and she has even been knocked off the cabinet and broken, but we glued her back together and she keeps bringing me joy every single day.  

Here are a couple of close-ups:


To satisfy the challenge to use poultry - I used a chicken sticker, a chicken die-cut, and I have chickens in my photos. 


For the wire portion of the challenge, Becca said that staples or paper clips would work, so I added a staple to my chicken die-cut and two staples to the red gingham paper strip.

I had so much fun with this challenge! I can't wait to see what Becca's next FarmQuest challenge is!

By the way, not only does Ali Edwards have the Pieces of Home series, but she also has Pieces of Me and Pieces of the Past - and I plan on doing both of these in my own way, also. After so many years of scrapping my kids and family, I have realized that I haven't scrapped anything about myself. I want my kids to know who I really am, where I come from, and why I love the things that I do. They know me as Mom but I also want them to just know Lori. So many plans - now to find the time to get them done.

Be sure to check out Becca's FarmQuest Challenge Blog and play along! This challenge runs from May 14-27th. 

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today! I hope you have a wonderful day! 

4 comments:

  1. Saw your pages over at FarmQuest and had to come by for a visit! So very cute! Great layout and story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an absolute special layout!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Lori for sharing your talents with HQCB and FQCB! This means so much to me! Your story and layout are just precious! Even the mostly red, white, and black remind me of many country kitchens from years ago with red and white checked gingham curtains and tablecloths, white or black stoves, white hobnail glassware, black splatterware, and more. Just a brilliant TN layout! --Becca, owner FQCB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful page and journaling, as usual, Lori. I soooo love your work. The dear little chicken has a touching story and I KNOW she is happy to be in your home! TYFS and keep up the wonderful work. I'm trying toupdate my scrappy blog more too- you keep inspiring me! Your plans sound wonderful. ~Ali

    ReplyDelete