Thursday, January 5, 2023

Looking Ahead - 2023 Scrappy Plans

 Hello, everyone! Happy Thursday to you! I hope that you are having a good week so far. We are only five days into the new year and yet it seems like it's been weeks! I'm not sure why it feels like that - probably because it has been a busier-than-normal week around here trying to get back into the normal routine again.

Anyway, I wanted to hurry up and get my scrappy plans posted for this new year. I went back and reread my scrappy plans for last year - and (sadly)  not much has changed. You can read that post here. I remember writing that post with every intention of achieving at least a few of my goals...and the only thing that I really achieved was "just scrapping." Now, I did make progress in some of those albums that I talked about in that post, but I did not get a single one completed. And you know what? I am totally okay with that! I am done putting pressure on myself to get these albums done. I honestly think if I go into this year without any expectations that maybe I'll surprise myself with what I do get done. We shall see!

My plan for 2023 is simple - I want to concentrate on my Project Life albums and my traveler's notebooks. That is what I want my main focus to be this year. Done, finished, finito! This post could be done right here - but I'll explain a little as to why I want this to be my focus. 

 This is where my heart is at right now.

I have been making 12x12 layouts for 25 years now and I know I said this last year, but I am running out of space for all of these 12x12 layouts and albums. I can get so many more stories told - a whole year's worth of stories and photos - in one project life album - or even in my traveler's notebooks - than I can in a traditional 12x12 album. The stories of our everyday life - the ordinary, the mundane, the stories that I want to remember but that don't need a whole 12x12 layout to be told. That is what I want to focus on this year.

When I first started scrapbooking I made sure to journal - a lot. I wanted to have down every little detail of the memory that I was scrapping. Somewhere along the way I kind of lost sight of that. Well, I didn't really lose sight of it - my focus just shifted. 

Being the mom to a child with severe autism was - and still is - hard. When Shane was little and in school, I felt like I was only known as "Shane's Mom." I don't even know if half of the people that I came into contact with even knew my name! That is not a bad thing but I just felt like I didn't even know who I was - other than "Shane's Mom." 

I started sharing my layouts online and I found my people! Y'all knew me as Lori first and Shane's Mom second! I felt like I had finally found myself. I was scrapping more as a creative outlet - just getting the basics down for journaling - than for storytelling. Some days the basics were all that I could muster.

And now I find myself, once again, in a different season in life. My kids are all grown and Miss Ada looks to be the only grandchild - at least for a while - and she just turned 9. I don't take nearly as many pictures as I used to and a lot of the pictures I do take are more fitting to a project life album than a whole layout to themselves. I want to get back to telling the stories, to go beyond just the basics and dig deep as to why I feel about things the way that I do. 

This doesn't mean that I am done with scrapping traditional 12x12 layouts but if I can keep the number of those layouts to about 3-4 per month, I will be a happy camper. I am still on the Sketch N Scrap design team - so you know I will be making two 12x12's a month for them - and I am still on the Lasting Memories design team. At Lasting Memories, I can always make traveler's notebook layouts for the challenges - which I will do whenever possible!

Lisa and I are continuing with Lisa & Lori's Great Stash Bash in 2023. This challenge is still near and dear to my heart and we have added a fun twist to it this year with our bashket challenge! 

I have gotten better about not buying nearly as often and buying with intention when I do. That being said, I kind of went a little crazy with the after-Christmas sales...I might have gotten a few things from Scrapbook Generation's big clearance sale, Echo Park's warehouse sale, and Studio Calico's end-of-year clearance sale, and then Felicity Jane had to send an email that everything was 75-80% off, and then Anna posted that she had Simple Stories mega bundles for sale at Piece Craft Love...I couldn't resist a Simple Stories mega bundle!

Besides the mega bundle, everything I purchased I have plans for. The majority of things that I bought at Scrapbook Generation and Echo Park were Disney items - which I have none of in my stash - and since Abby's family went to Disney this past summer and have plans on going back later this year, I know I am going to put what I bought to use. I also picked up another pack of pocket page protectors for my project life album at the EP warehouse sale. You can't beat a 50-pack of protectors for $15! 

At Studio Calico I picked up some of their Documenter's kits and Traveler's Notebook kits. Their past kits were already on sale and then they gave a code to get another 50% off of that. When I can get a kit that normally costs $30-35 for $8-10...yes, please! I figure this is a good way for me to see if I want to eventually subscribe to one of their kits or not.

And at Felicity Jane, I bought a few more traveler's notebooks and several of their journaling card packs from their different collections. 

Out of everything that I bought, I only got one pack of 12x12 paper and it was a Disney collection pack. That is a win in my book! Now it is time to tighten the old purse strings for a while!

So, my goals for 2023 are:

1 - work on my 2023 Project Life album and any other year that I feel like.


2 - play along with Paper Issue's 52 Favorites this year - in a traveler's notebook.


3 - finally get around to doing a Traveler's Notebook or 6x8 album based on Ali Edwards' - Pieces of Me, Pieces of the Past, and Pieces of Home series from last year.

4 - get caught up on Ada's school TN.

5 - work on (and hopefully finish) Ada's Favorite Photos of 2018 TN.

Those are my main focuses of the year. Anything else will just be a bonus. And notice I just said "work on" instead of "completing" on the majority of those! I'm trying to set myself up for success this year!

How about you? Have you noticed a change in your scrapping recently? I would love to hear about your goals for this year, too!

Thanks so much for sticking to the end of this post!

Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Best wishes to you with your crafty plans. Your post really connected with me. I had no idea that when my kids were little that I actually had MORE time to scrapbook then. Now, I am at a phase of life where work keeps me so busy (and exhausted) for 9 months out of the year. It's only after tax season these days that I find a few months of solitude to craft. The last few years, I found myself crafting for other people instead of myself, so my goal this year is to focus on just a few projects...mainly my son's school album now that he's a junior. Where has the time gone?! Thanks for sharing your goals with us, and your crafting talents and heart with us. Happy 2023 to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casandra - I always thought I would have so much more time to scrap once the kids got older, too, and it just is not the case! I still don't know how I got so much done back then. Good luck on your son's school album - I am sure he will treasure it! Happy 2023 to you and yours!

      Delete