Thursday, October 1, 2020

Counterfeit Kit Challenge October Kit Reveal & Blog Hop

 Hello, everyone! Happy October 1st! It's going to be a busy morning here on the ol' blog, so let's get started!

We have a new inspiration kit to counterfeit today at Counterfeit Kit Challenge. Master Forger Tracey is our hostess this month and she has picked the fabulous - Best of Both Worlds September 2020 kit by Shimelle - for us to counterfeit. Here's what Tracy has to say about her pick:

Here in Australia it is just starting to get warm again, the spring flowers are popping up, bring lots of colour. Which is a bit different for most of you, heading into Fall/Autumn and seeing the Autumn/Fall leaves turn colour. With that in mind, I picked a kit that has both Fall and Spring colours in it and it is a kit that is a bit different from the ordinary month kit clubs. This kit is not sold specifically though a store or monthly club, it is a selection of products (shopping list) that a well know scrapper has put together. Which means you can go shopping to purchase the items individually or pull from your own supplies at home and put together as a kit.

Here is a look at the kit - visit the Counterfeit Kit Challenge Blog for a complete list of the items in this kit:

* Image of Kit put together by Siri Astrid Reenskaug Fjortoft.


And here is the kit that I pulled together:


I have quite a few of the papers and embellishments that Shimelle has in her kit and what I didn't have, well, I think I came up with some really good substitutes! Let me break it all down for you. Here is a look at my papers:


We'll start with the top row in the photo of the inspiration kit. This is the one row that I didn't have any of the papers in my stash so I went looking for something close.


 The first two papers are cut apart papers from Bella Blvd. One of the papers is from 2009 and the other doesn't have a date on it but I am sure it's from about the same time. In the inspiration kit, one paper has a sort of stripe or geometric print on it in a blue/grey color, so I added a blue dot paper. The other cut apart paper in the original kit is grey with black stars on it but I chose to pick a gold dot paper to match the colors in my cut apart papers. My big rainbow print is much larger and brighter than the original Maggie Holmes paper, but I did find a good match to the light color woodgrain paper. The small rainbow paper is from a Shimelle project pad, I just can't remember which one. I added another golden yellow circle print paper for the "b" side paper. 

Here is row 2:


I just had one of the same papers in this row but I have a few pieces of the Pebbles - Live Life Happy collection so I substituted those for the others, and now that I think about it, I have the 6x8 paper pad of this collection that I can always pull from if I need it. I also added a couple of papers from an older Elle's Studio collection for my dark woodgrain/green paper. 

Row 3:


I had the same papers as the inspiration kit for the first 3 papers and I added extra papers for the "b" sides again. The only paper I didn't have is the Simple Stories Kate & Ash paper but by this time I felt like I had enough of the yellow dot papers in my kit already!

Row 4:


For this group, I had the same Simple Stories Bro & Co paper and I know the "b" side is a red tone on tone diagonal stripe, but I found a blue paper that matched the blues in the letters and added it for some variety. Instead of a label paper, I added an Elle's Studio journal/library type paper. The "b" side fo the label paper is a pink check so I added a pink with white triangles paper.

I had pulled out a few extra papers in my process and I think I will leave them in my kit so I have a little more variety to work with:


Now for my embellishments:


I have the same Scrapbook.com sticker book and Waffle Flower Crafts enamel dots. I did pull some enamel hearts but I'm not sure how well I will be able to make them work. I didn't have the 6x12 stickers from Crate Paper's Sweet Story collection, but I do have the puffy stickers and the sticker book so I added them to my kit.


I have added what embellishments I have left of the Pebbles Live Life Happy collection and I did add a few 6x12 sticker sheets that mostly match my kit. I thought I could always use the word stickers for titles if nothing else! I also just realized that I have a few embellishments for the Photo Play We can stay home collection that I will add in as well. 

Since Shimelle has a pack of flower die-cuts in her kit, I pulled a few that I thought would work. I also added in quite a few stamps for more flower options and maybe I'll even be able to manage some forgeries:


Since the inspiration kit has the sticker book with a sheet of word phrase stickers, I also thought I would pull some stamps that could serve the same purpose. In Shimelle's video of her going over each item, she said if you don't have any enamel hearts you could use punches or anything else small that could serve as a finishing touch, so I also pulled a heart punch that has a couple of different sizes on it:


And lastly - and as an afterthought - I have a couple of extra embellishments - puffy stickers and more enamel dots in a few different colors:


I thought the puffy stickers would work well for "boy" papers and the enamel dots are a great match for the Pebbles - Live Life Happy collection.

That is it for my kit! A rather large kit but I have ideas for several layouts already so I am hoping it's a productive month!

Be sure to check out the kits from the rest of the design team. It is always so much fun to see what they come up with! We have a fabulous guest designer joining us this month - so be sure to check out Machelle's blog, too. Here is the complete blog hop line-up:

8 comments:

  1. Lovely. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet kit you created :) I look forward to seeing your creations :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a biggie! Running to my studio to pull some of my phrase stamps & toss them in my kit :D I loved reading your process on choosing the substitutions where you didn't have the original, and my fingers are crossed for the flower forgeries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great kit - looks a lot like the inspiration kit to me. And what great bits and bobs to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowee! That's a lovely kit and many of the same papers. That rainbow curved paper should be interesting to use. Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! This is a lovely and bright kit! Some of those papers are super fun! Great inspiration from your kit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely kit, great idea to add the word stamps. Have fun crafting.
    Cindy F

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic kit, especially with all the rainbows and that adorable sloth!

    ReplyDelete