Sunday, July 8, 2018

LM $403 - All About Me - Document Your JOB

Hello, hello! Good Sunday morning to you! Sadly, vacation has come to an end and it is back to the old "summertime" routine. I always love it when hubby has a vacation and we can all spend time together. Tomorrow it is back to work for him and time for me to get with it before summer break is gone (there's still so much to do!) and I have Ada again each day.

Lasting Memories has a new challenge posted today. This month the theme is "All About Me" and our challenge this week is to document your job - current job, past job, dream job, everyday tasks that seem like a job...

I decided to document my first job.


Right after I graduated from high school I got a part-time job at a local gas station as a cashier. This is a current photo of the station - which is no longer a gas station -  it is now a travel information center.

I worked the afternoon/evening shift which was 2 pm until closing at either 7 or 8 pm - I can't remember which! I wonder why my parents even agreed to this job - here it was - a gas station right along the interstate in a little "village" (population 175), in the middle of nowhere, with not much else around for miles, I was 18 and there were no other workers there. Nowadays you couldn't pay me enough to do that!

It wasn't too bad of a job. We never were very busy and since the station sat along the interstate and Route 66 we got a lot of tourists from other countries stopping in for gas. Most of the time they knew enough English to get them through and once in a while they would have their kids come in to interpret for them.

One time we had the Emerson Fittipaldi race team stop in for gas and we got to see the Indy 500 Marlboro race car - which was very cool! I believe it was right before he won the Indy 500 in 1989.

Not too long after I started working there I started dating Scott and there were a lot of nights that he would come by after he got off of work and stay with me until closing. Sometimes to pass the time between customers - because they could be few and far between - we would play frisbee in the parking lot.

Only once did I get really scared of a customer. I had a...sketchy...scary...creepy - you pick an adjective - truck driver stop in. Truckers stopped in quite a bit to use the restroom and get a drink or something to eat and then would be on their way. This guy came in and sat at the little table inside - just watching me and eating pistachios - I remember that because he made such a mess with them! It was almost time to close, and of course, it was a night that Scott didn't stop by or the owners, Tom and Mary Ann didn't come up to close, so I was all by myself. I finally had to tell him we were closing and he got up and left without a problem, but then he sat across the road in his truck until after I left. I'm sure he was harmless, but my 18 or 19-year-old self was scared!

I worked there for about 2 years until I had Abby and became a stay at home mom. All in all, not too bad for a first job.

For my layout, I used an older collection from Close To My Heart - Some Kind of Wonderful - and based my layout off of this sketch from Citrus Twist:


I had so much to say (see above!) so I had to "hide" my journaling behind the photo!

I have really been enjoying making some layouts about me - especially this one. I don't know if I would have actually told his story if I hadn't had this challenge.

We would love to see what you create, so come on over to Lasting Memories and join us!


6 comments:

  1. I love this story! How interesting! So glad you got it documented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Can you imagine letting Abby work there? Great story! Love the colors you used!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome take on the challenge :) I worked at a few convenience stores and felt the same would not work it now unless there was atleast 1 more person there :)Love the layout and such a cool color choice to for the layout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely layout and I enjoyed reading your memories. The way you've hidden your journalling works great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous layout Lori....love your story and glad you documented it with this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all that journalling you've included. I love pages like this and great to use a photo of the place now even if it'S changed!

    ReplyDelete